The Air Forces Memorial, also known as the Runnymede Memorial was built to commemorate the more than 20.000 men and women who lost their lives during World War II while serving in- or in association with the Royal Air Force of the British Commonwealth, and have an unknown grave.
The site where the memorial is built was donated to the Imperial War Graves Commission in 1949 by Sir Eugen and Lady Effie Millington-Drake, and designed by English architect Sir Edward Maufe with sculptures from Vernon Hill. The design of the memorial is a square cloister with the Stone of Remembrance in the middle, which is also the central point for commemorations.
On the north side opposite the entrance is a tower with a curved wing on either side. Above the entrance to the tower are three sculptures representing Courage, Victory and Justice. The names of the more than 20,000 missing Airmen and Airwomen are engraved in the stone walls of the cloister and arranged by year, country (Air Force), rank by name.
The Air Forces Memorial was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 17 October 1953.
The Runnymede Air Forces Memorial is located on Coopers Hill Lane between Windsor and Egham approximately 4 miles from Windsor and is signposted as - Air Forces Memorial -.
There is a public car park within walking distance (220 yards) from the memorial on Coopers Hill Lane.
Runnymede Air Forces Memorial